Monday 23 October 2017

A splash of colour lifts the spirits

Crafters Companion are launching their foils and transfers for birthday week tonight at 6pm on Hochanda and I was lucky enough to have made samples for the show. The brief was to make matching sets of things and use as many different surfaces as possible so I decided tohave a go at foiling onto fabric and this card is the result.



what was used:
Crafters Companion, Fresh Journey foil transfers
13cm x 22cm cream base card
cream cotton fabric
cream linen card
thick card to back fabric
water brush
gold ink pad
4 x 2mm gold gems
 
The painting of this card took me all day to do but it is a real stress buster and thoroughly enjoyable.
 
Cut a piece of thick card to the size of the transfer and spray with stick & spray. Cut a piece of cotton larger than the card and stick onto the card. Take the backing from the transfer and place the transfer on the fabric, run the fabric/card/transfer combo through a Gemini machine. Peel off the acetate transfer sheet and place the foil over the sticky transfer. Cover the foil with copy paper and run through the Gemini machine. Remove the foil to reveal the pattern.
 
Colour in the pattern on the fabric with Spectrum Aqua pens (I used a piece of copy paper to lay over the foiled area that I would rest my hand on so as to not drag off any of the gold. Also build up slowly the layers of colours, remember that if you use too much water the colour will bleed and if you don't let the fabric dry before you apply the next layer of colour it will become muddy). When you have coloured as much of the pattern as you need allow the fabric to completely dry.
 
Gently peel away any excess fabric and cut down the backing card before cutting down and securing the fabric to the card from behind.
 
Foil the sentiment onto a piece of cream card using the Gemini as before and cut to size. Rub the edges of the sentiment banner with gold ink.
 
Mat and layer the card and attach the gold gems.
 
 
The foil is surprisingly robust once it is on the fabric but I tried to be as careful as possible when handling it and never to rub it.
 
 
This is a gift box that I made using the acetate transfer sheet and the Fucshia foil (Its how its spelt on the packaging). I love it when you can use the throw away bits to make lovely projects, its like a bonus gift.
 
 
I love working with foils and the amazing results you can get using them - things just look so lush. I have seen the samples that my teamies have made for this show and I would recommend that you watch just to get some ideas of what interesting ways that any foils can be used.
 
..........................................................
 
I was out shopping on Saturday with my friend and found the most amazing sewing shop not too far from where I live. I was like a child in a sweet shop and although I was really good and mostly bought ribbons I did pick up what I thought was glitter paper only to find it is glitter felt, I cant wait to use it.
My sister is calling this afternoon to have a crafty time as she needs to make some Christmas cards and also find her MoJo, but mostly its just a great way to spend an autumn afternoon.
 
 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne, I loved colouring it in. Xx

      Delete
  2. Your card is so pretty, love the colours :) Great gift box too love the bright colour and gorgeous ribbon
    Hugs Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete